ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject New launcher
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:30:44 GMT
I have just committed a new class to launch Ant. It moves some of the
functions currently in the ant scripts into Java code, making the scripts
simpler to maintain (I'm sick of spaces in directory names :-) ). The
functions it provides include determining ant.home, finding tools.jar,
building the classpath to include the optional jar and the parser jars.

This is currently experimental. It uses classloaders to launch the Ant Main
class, which I have modified slightly to allow the new class, Launcher, to
pass some additional information. The current script based launchers should
be unaffected by the changes. One benefit of this change is that when Java
tasks are run in VM, the ant parser classes should not be visible.

If anyone wants to give it a try, please let me know how you go. I'd
especially be interested in situations where people are using JUnit and
getting Linkage errors as I want to investigate that a bit. Any other
feedback is also welcome.

Note that at the moment, the Launcher class prints out debug stuff etc when
it starts up. I haven't included a launch script for this yet, but for
reference the script I am using on NT is

@echo off
@setlocal
set CLASSPATH=%~dp0..\lib\ant.jar;%CLASSPATH%
java org.apache.tools.ant.Launcher %*
@endlocal

A similar script for Unix should be obvious. I haven't tested on Linux yet.

So, give it a whirl and lets see if we can replace the launching scripts
with something a bit simpler.

Cheers
Conor