ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Ant2 suggestions
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:06:58 GMT
From: "Maurice le Rutte" <mplr@oce.nl>

Well, allowing protected access does break the super class' encapsulation,
allowing the subclass to violate the class invariant of the super class.
So, in general, it is a bad thing. Providing accessors is not much better,
though, unless you can restrict what the caller can do to the object (eg,
const in C++). In the case of Ant tasks, the project field is not really
part of the task's invariant, so protected access is not generally harmful.

Conor