ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject JAXP / Crimson update
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2001 07:10:00 GMT
As a newbie committer and before someone -1 my changes and send me to hell
[ I'm walking on eggs with CVS :-(  ]

I would like to suggest to update to crimson 1.1.1 which is a bug-fix
release.It should not hurt to ship Ant 1.4 with a updated parser that most
people are not aware it exists especially since it is not even mentioned on
the
crimson web page and you have to go to the download sections to figure there
is a bug fix release available. Among things, it fixes the dreaded bug that
prevents in the JAXP release to do a Document::importNode(Document).

This bug fix release (or part of it) is the one shipped in JDK 1.4beta and
J2EE1.3beta
It is available here: http://xml.apache.org/dist/crimson/

Additionaly...

There is a new jaxp.jar binary in the bug release...There is no information
available for a new version where it should be (ie http://java.sun.com/xml).
Looking deeper in the jar and in the JDK 1.4beta sources, it looks like one
fundamental difference from JAXP 1.1 is the way it loads the factory. There
is now a FactoryFinder class (static inner class of SAXParserFactory) that
is used to get factories via the context classloader first (I guess this is
also what Costin mentioned last time) instead of the previous
Class.forName(String) use.

There are some differences between the code in the jaxp.jar in the bugfix
release and the one in the JDK 1.4, but it looks like similar in the
strategy.

What's your opinion ?

+1 for me. :)

Stephane