ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Task Submissions
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:04:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: Task Submissions

> >> Seems as if several people would be working on this in parallel 8-)
> >
> > This is definitely possible. I developed this about 5 months ago in
> > isolation.
>
> Steve Loughran just submitted a sketch of his jasper jspc task the
> same day your mail arrived and there's been a jspc task at ant-user
> last Saturday, that's where my comment comes from.
>
> We already have a Weblogic jspc task in CVS (it's an undocumented part
> of Ant since 1.2) and it seems obvious that <jspc> would be a
> candidate for a facade task just like <javac> and <rmic> are today.

Yes, a facade would work, although there is always the issue of how to have
non standard options.

> Hope I'll find time to look into all three of them 8-(.

well, if you look at mine its core features are
 -directly calls jasperc for speed and ease of turning jasperExceptions into
BuildExceptions
 -supports all the current document jasperc options, even if jasperc fails
on one of them (ieplugin)
 -uses an explicit fileset (<source>) rather than an implicit one.
 -has some unit tests pencilled in

Buts its key weaknesses are
 -being coupled to jasperc could make it less stable
 -does not (yet) do dependency based invocation.
 -doesnt use any javac choice (a feature of the jasperc library which I dont
want to look at)

>From the test build file, It looks like jasper doesnt like it when I hand in
multiple files to get compiled; I may just do it one at a time..if that
works then basic dependency based invocation (dest file older than source
file) might work, provided we steal the jsp to java filename algorithm from
jasper.

One issue to worry about first: what use cases are we addressing with this
task
 1. compilation of jsp pages purely as a syntax checker before bothering to
deploy
 2. precompilation of jsp pages into java files /.class files for inclusion
in war files

use case (1) is all I need now; if the jspc tasks work reliably I might
think about (2), but not yet. What about anyone else interested in jsp
compilation from ant?

-steve