ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] Target attribute property expansion
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2001 10:17:34 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I do not want to be a pain in the neck, but allowing properties in
> > the depends list seems kind of risky to me.
>
> It has not been an unrestricted expansion of properties, but would
> happen at parser time, this wouldn't affect the DAG at all.

I have been trying to stay away from these discussions, since I have other
work to do, but here I go again. I hope I can keep it short and these does
not become a major exchange, so here I go.

For what I saw of the patch, it assumes that properties will be evaluated as
they are parsed. Since as you say it preserves DAG being created at parsing
time. That would mean that we will be stuck on having to execute <property>
directives while we parse, instead of in an initialization phase. Am I wrong
in my understanding?

Do (or will) <target>s go thru an initialization phase? I bring this up
because in some of the ANT2 prototypes there was talk about such phase
separate from parsing.

Let me also say, I understand to certain extend the request for being able
to parameterized dependencies, that to me is trying to elevate dependencies
(or tergets) to first class object status. Which is equivalent to allowing
closures (or procedures) as parameters in procedural/functional languages.
One ussually need to be careful of how such things are done, and its
consequences.

Jose Alberto