ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] Target attribute property expansion
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:50:06 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I actually think that we should do lazy evaluation of the DAG. ie
> > only look up next element in DAG as we "get" to it.
>
> Could you please explain how this should work?  I'm not sure I know
> what you mean by "look up" and "get to" in this context.
>
> > This is for two reasons mainly;
>
> You mention three 8-)
>
> > 1. Support crazy self-modifying projects like Jose wanted
>
> He did?

I do not think I did. Unless he is referring to the following pattern that I
proposed:

	<target ....>
	  <generate-suproject-from-template file="xyz.xml" />
	  <ant location="xyz.xml" .... />
	</target>

which I do not think is self-modifying in the sense of the discussion here,
nor it is crazy, IMHO.

> > 2. Not force the loading of all project files at startup
>
> If we allow targets in the main file to depend on targets in other
> files, we'll have to load and parse this other file anyway, don't we?
>
> > 3. Cutdown on redundent scanning at start that is not needed and
> > costly in large projects
>
> Scanning for what?  If you are talking about not searching for cycles
> in the dependency graph that we are never going to touch, that is fine
> with me.

Do we want to find as many problems on the build file as possible, or do we
want to wait until it breaks once the file is on the production environment?
I usually prefer to catch as many errors (problems) as possible as eager as
possible. MAybe we should have an option for that.

Jose Alberto