ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Aspect Representation was [DISC] Aspect implementation
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:11:48 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In your other message you had a type id being declared inside a
> projectref. Which I think is the right thing to do.

To some extent <ant*>, <projectref> and container tasks are special -
but I agree that it doesn't look consistent.

> The problem I see today is this diferentiation between types using
> ID aspects and normal properties using name. At the usage level the
> visibility rules for both should be the same. Shouldn't <property
> name="X".../> be syntax sugar for <property ant:id="X".../>.

Yes. I think this is what we've agreed upon for Ant2.

> This would also mean the precedence rules that apply to <properties>
> must apply to ids also. Is that the case today?

Not today, but decided for Ant2 IIRC.  We've not decided how scoping
and precedence of properties and other data-types will be, but that
they will be the same for all of them.

> An orthogonal question, why is it ID an aspect but REFID is not?

If ID is an aspect, then REFID should probably be one as well,
especially since REFID could be used to not create a new instance of
something at all (but pass in the referenced instance of a data-type).

Stefan