ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] passing properties to subbuilds
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:39:41 GMT
Glenn McAllister <glenn@somanetworks.com> wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> OK, just to get a basis to implement the same feature for Ant1 -
>> we'd have to sort out details for the non-property data types for
>> Ant2 (i.e. how to define them).
>
> Off the top of my head, I'd be inclined to say that whatever rules
> we use for properties applies for the other data types as well.

Sure.  What I wanted to say: you can pass properties using the nested
param tag, but we don't have a way to pass (possibly user-defined)
data types yet.

> And if the value is false, everything from the parent gets passed
> through overriding the sub build values (reflecting the current
> behaviour)?

Exactly.

> However, this is going to hose compatibility between Ant1 and Ant2.
> Everyone is currently assuming when they call the sub build, the
> parent values take precidence.  With Ant2, *none* of the parent
> properties are going to be passed by default; any sub build that
> depends on getting a value from the parent will now break.

Shouldn't be a problem - we've already promised to provide some kind
of build file converter with Ant 2.  This one could simply insert an
explicit="false" in all <ant> tasks.

Stefan