ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configure->Template->Build
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:59:15 GMT

> At 09:24 AM 6/6/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Alternatively try to build a large scale project with both
>>> methods. Without any practical experience or learning from people
>>> who have had practical experience I can't see how you can expect
>>> anyone to take your "opinion" seriously.
>>
>>The problem I have with this approach is, that whenever I ask for
>>real world examples of large scale projects I don't get any
>>without templates (the static kind) they get declared bad examples
>>afterwards.
>
> Could you give me a reference - I wasn't aware any examples have
> been given.

This is part one of my response ;-)

I have taken your 17 projects with slightly different compile targets
as an example - no other has been provided yet.

>>As my 1000 class tree building about 20 modules that make up about
>>5-10 separate products is not a large scale project by the
>>definition that it would need additional templating mechanisms, I'm
>>obviously lacking the experience.
>
> Not sure if this is sarcasm or not?

No it is not, but I admit it is on the edge to it - sorry, this is not
the style I prefer.

My build file - I have a single one - doesn't include a single ant or
antcall task, and it is maintainable (at least by me).  It doesn't need
a single feature that you want to solve with templating, that's why I
assume that I don't have the experience necessary to understand the
complex needs of large scale build systems.

> The question, is dynamic templating the right tool?

To solve which problems?

Back to step one, give me examples so I can understand the issues.

Stefan