ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ant2] Propertys and strategies to deal with them
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:49:03 GMT

> 1. How do we scope properties?

Yet to be decided, right.  I see global, build file and maybe
task-local scope, where the last applies to container-tasks.  Not sure
what target scope would be used for.

> 2. Are properties mutable or immutable?

We have promised to deliver a built-in task that can modify
properties, so some properties themselves can be mutable.  That
doesn't mean, that all of them have to be mutable by default.

> 3. Is there a difference between passed in parameters (via
> ant.properties or CLI) and build file specified properties?

Just for precedence rules IMHO (in the sense that explicitly passed in
properties always take precedence).

> 4. Should we allow declaration of variables without assignment?

What would they do?  Just define scope?  I'd prefer an explicit
attribute for this.  Say you have several property declaration inside
a container-task - I wouldn't want to search through the build file to
know which scope they live in.

Stefan