ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: executing task for each file in file set
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:02:48 GMT
Peter Donald <> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:30, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> We will have to deal with this problem in the context of
>> multi-threaded execution of tasks in a target anyway.  This
>> probably means that bigger parts of the core need to be redesigned
>> for multi-threading and that we document side-effects of some tasks
>> properly
> The only real problem I have identified so far is the
> ProjectListener interface.

Parallel modifications of any registry entry (properties, data types,
task definitions, aspect handlers).  People doing something like

  <property name="foo" value="bar" />
  <property name="foo" value="baz" />

shouldn't expect foo to have any value at all IMHO, but we have to
make sure all things are properly synchronized (there is no
synchronization at all ATM).  Running two directory scanning tasks in
parallel is probably going to get your I/O performance down, so we may
elect to serialize them. There will be some tasks that hold state in
global (and probably even static) attributes ...

View raw message