ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: modifying optional task code / <mimemail>
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:51:42 GMT
Erik Hatcher <erikhatcher@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure I fully understand/agree with the merged task and its
> dependencies being that much of a problem.  The official builds at
> Jakarta's site could include those jars (mail.jar and
> activation.jar) just like it includes junit.jar, couldn't it?

It could, but this could very soon start a religuos war 8-) - just
think of the maintenance issue, the junit.jar in Ant's CVS is 3.2
while 3.7 is the current version.  But lets not open yet another flame
war, that's not worth it.

I don't think official builds include junit.jar, we have been
including JAXP, but this is a mandatory dependency for Ant.

> Or is there a licensing issue such that they can't be included?

Possible, I haven't checked the license on JavaMail, but if it is the
same as the one on JAXP, it would be OK.

> Couldn't they at least be used for the builds but perhaps not
> packaged?  (The <script> task is like this, correct?  bsf.jar isn't
> distributed, is it?  But must be used for builds, no?)

<script> is an optional task!

BSF is installed on a number of developer machines, including the one
that does the nightly builds.

> Isn't it acceptable behavior to get a ClassNotFound exception on the
> <mail> task when the 'type="mime"' is specified and the docs
> explicitly say to use that feature you need those additional .jars?

Well, wrap it into a BuildException and add some explanation 8-)

> I will definitely send a pointer - but usually someone else sees my
> articles posted before I do, so I might be slow to the draw on when
> it appears!  :)

Do we have all relevant pointers on
<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/resources.html>?

Stefan