ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C/C++ Compile Task - Another
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:39:55 GMT
Glenn McAllister <glenn@somanetworks.com> wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> Adam Murdoch <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Not a big fan of the magic property.  Anything wrong with just
>> > using:
>> >
>> > <cc compiler="${would.have.been.a.magic.property}">
>>
>> I don't like magic properties either, but this approach would move
>> from a single magic property for all projects to a project specific
>> one.
>
> So you are saying that you don't want to have a magic property
> (completely understandable) but you also don't want to have a
> compiler attribute?

No, not quite.

If you want to allow the user to specify the compiler on the command
line, the only options we have so far (in the absence of user
preferences like we'll have in Ant2) are magic properties and
constructs like Adam proposes.

I don't like magic properties, but Adam's approach forces me

(1) as a build file writer to write a compiler attribute with a given
property name - and use that one consistently

(2) as a user to read the build file to know how the build file writer
named this property.

Anyway, I'd probably prefer that as a workaround for our (probably
long living) Ant1 over yet another magic property.

Stefan