ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: executing task for each file in file set
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:56:36 GMT
Roger Vaughn <rogervaughn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Someone on the list has already written a foreach task - it's not
> part of the *core*, but including it in the distro would be helpful.

I'm not sure we have this distinction yet.  If it's in the
distribution, it is in the core.

>> > Are we now going to have individual and iterating versions of
>> > every task?

> --- asr@ufl.edu wrote:

>> I assert that tasks should, where this is sane, operate on a list
>> of items.  This list may only contain one item.
>
> I agree.  This does *not*, however, include tasks such as exec, ant,
> echo, etc.

Well, it could apply to ant - and then we'd merge anton and ant.

> Exec, however, does *not*.  In fact, the internal representation of
> execon is equivalent to "foreach f in fileset, exec x(f)."

You know my argument 8-)

> The point on the table is that Ant is evolving so that it contains
> *two* copies of many tasks - a single file version ala exec,

<exec> is not a single file version, it is a no-file version which
happens to work on files in certain circumstances:

<exec executable="/usr/games/fortune" />

Stefan