ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: executing task for each file in file set
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:23:59 GMT
Peter Vogel <pvogel@arsin.com> wrote:

> Except that "parallel" in the sense of execOn simply says that it's
> ok to provide the whole fileset to the command at once, rather than
> running the command for each file.

Or "apply the command to the whole set instead of each member in some
arbitrary iteration sequence".

> The same thing could be achieved if there were a way to get a string
> representation of a fileset

We will have one in Ant2 .

But you could only achieve the same as execon does if this string
representation is a space delimited list of absolute pathnames - not
the only reasonable choice for FileSet.toString().

> I agree though, it would be interesting to have a "true" parallel
> attribute,

Yes it would - but it would be quite dangerous if the tasks nested
into foreach (or whatever) have not been designed to be thread save.

Stefan