ant-dev mailing list archives

From John.D.Ca...@mail.sprint.com
Subject RE: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Coming Soon: taskdefs.org website...
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:39:52 GMT

Regards,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: asr [mailto:asr@ufl.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 12:00 AM
To: ant-dev
Cc: asr
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Coming Soon: taskdefs.org website...

=> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:10:54 -0700, "Steve Loughran"
<steve_l@iseran.com> said:

> Given that sourceforge provides a reliable (albeit not 100% secure)
store
> for CVS projects under whichever OSS license the authors choose, the
source
> repositories for individual projects can be offloaded.

> So the taskdefs.org site could be used as an index of all the tasks in
> progress, but doesnt need to deal with running sub CVS projects,
managing
> accounts, etc -all the time consuming admin cruft.

What it comes down to is an exercize in psychology.

You can do work providing services (i.e. source control, publicity,
etc.) and
attract people to build things under the auspices of your site, and
become
known as the place -where- that kind of thing gets done.

or

You can do work searching out tasks and their writers, cajole them into
keeping their things up to date, and keep a current list, and then
become
known as the place to -find out where- that kind of thing gets done.

But you won't get people to just register their tasks with you unless
you
either give them cookies, or do the initial work to develop the rep.
It'd be
One More Place To Upload to.

The latter is probably easier to begin.

- Allen S. Rout