ant-dev mailing list archives

From AU...@DtA.de
Subject SUGGEST: Make refid attributes URL-aware
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:35:42 GMT
Request for comment
suggestion:
===========
Enable "refid" attributes to reference objects in other files/locations, so
that you can keep a constant set of frequently used paths, filesets etc. in
a central place and reference them from a build file.

example:
========

In file "build.xml":
<classpath>
	<fileset
refid="file://localhost/${ant.home}/libraries.xml#struts.library"/>
</classpath>

or better:
<classpath>
	<fileset ref="file://localhost/${ant.home}/libraries.xml"
refid="struts.library"/>
</classpath>

In file "libraries.xml" there should be then:
<fileset id="struts.library" dir="${env.STRUTS_HOME}/lib">
	<include name="struts.jar"/>
</fileset>

purpose/benefit:
I keep a definition of frequently used libraries in a parent-project-wide or
central xml file. At the moment, I have to use the (IMHO ugly)
entity-redefinition feature of the XML parser to include this file. The
suggested construct offers a cleaner, XSchema-friendly, and much more
flexible solution. There are certainly many more applications for this
extension, esp. if HTTP/FTP-URLs are allowed.

Regards,
Mirko