ant-dev mailing list archives

From Weiqi Gao <weiqi...@networkusa.net>
Subject Tasks for GPL-ed tools (Was: Re: Problems with licenses (GPL, LGPL) and task writing)
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:37:03 GMT
On 17 Jun 2001 10:50:50 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:

> [...] I am not a lawyer [...]

Going back to the original question: "I wrote an Ant task for a GPL-ed
tool.  Does that force my task to be GPL-ed too?  Can it be included in
Ant?"

These points seem to be clear:

1. GPL-ed code can't go into Ant CVS (or any other Apache projects).

2. If the task uses the GPL-ed tool through a command line interface,
the the task would not be forced to be GPL-ed.

3. If the task calls into the GPL-ed tool through a programming
interface, then the task would be forced to be GPL-ed.

What about using reflection (assuming the GPL-ed tool is a Java tool)?

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@networkusa.net