ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <>
Subject RE: Problems with licenses (GPL, LGPL) and task writing
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:58:30 GMT
From: Yannick Menager []

> I'm not a lawyer, but I have the strong impression that if we called a
> GLPed binary (jarfile) using reflection, that would solve the problem,

Not necessarily.
If you wrote code that did something like:

SUB use-gnu-stuff
	jar = load-jar( "gnu.jar" )
		throw( "Cannot find gnu.jar" )
	class = jar->load-class( "GNUclass" )
		throw( "Cannot find 'GNUclass' in jar" )
	method = class->lookup-method( "myMethod" )
		throw( "Cannot find method 'myMethod'" )

	return method->call()

Then there would be no direct dependency on the GNU code, and no
linking, since it is all done with reflection and if you handled
the exceptions, then the code would still work if the GNU jar
wasn't there.

However, it is clear for all to see, that you are just trying to
circumvent the licensing requirements of gnu.jar, and a court
would probably declare it illegal.

However, it is was using a standard interface then you would
probably be OK.
eg: You can probably use a GPL'd bean in your code, if you just treat
it as a bean.
And Ant can load GPL'd task, since it uses Ant's published API.

But just putting a reflection wrapper doesn't necessarily work.

View raw message