ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Tilly <JTi...@hoteltools.com>
Subject RE: Configure->Template->Build
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:53:42 GMT
Speaking for myself, and maybe some others, resistance comes from not
wanting to see an XML programming language.  Honestly, if Ant goes the way
of JSP taglibs in this manner, I'll be disappointed.  I'll also be thinking
seriously about finding a way to create a Java/Python version of a similar
build engine so at least I'll have a solid syntax from which to start; one
that's already been tested and put through the "BNF wringer".

This is not an easy issue.  Templating, iterative XML languages,
preprocessing are all mediocre solutions.  On top of it all, the goal isn't
even clear;  designs are being based on a bunch of loose use cases and which
have not been reviewed or normalized.

Diane, as far as you being more end-user than developer, that does not
matter.  While far from being statisical fact from which to base behavior, I
have numerous personal instances of the least technial/development inclined
people being the most influential on design issues.  These people always
seem to have a much better understanding of the big picture while us dev
types get too narrow-focused.  Just my experience.

MrT