ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg K Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject [AW] Project Description: attribute or element?
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:08:57 GMT
Hello:

Back in April I brought up the prospect of adding a project-wide
description for buildfiles. Its a pretty obvious add, given the name of
the command-line help option ("-projecthelp")!

I believe we all agreed that it would be a Good Thing. The discussion
then centered on the choice of implementation, namely: attribute or
element.

Adding an optional "description" attribute to the <project> tag has the
following advantages:

- extremely quick and easy to implement
- minimal breakage

and disadvantages:

- this attribute is likely to get very large (i.e. multi-line), more so
even than the <target> description attribute.

Adding an optional "description" element has the following advantages:

- more in-line with XML philosophy (content does not belong in attributes)
- more flexible: like <property>, we could allow <description> elements
to appear other places as well, such as within targets.
- more extensible: in future, we could even provide for embedded markup
like stylebook, or use <![CDATA[ to embed HTML markup, etc.

and disadvantages:

-More likely to break compatibility-- the most natural way to implement
is to emulate <property> and this requires changes in many more places...

I personally believe that the description element is the better way to
go; however, I fully appreciate the importance of stability and
backwards compatibility.
Therefore, I (somewhat regretfully) propose adding a description
attribute as a temporary solution until Ant2 happens.

Let me know if I missed any important arguments for or against.
Otherwise, please vote for "element" or "attribute." I promise a quick
turnaround on the patch :-)

Regards,

--Craeg

--