ant-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject Re: C/C++ Compile Task - Another
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:14:32 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Adam Murdoch <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> From: glenn@dryline-fw.wireless-sys.com

<personal_gripe>
I really hate my email system...  You'd think they could alias the real
machine name with the appropriate part of my email address...  And that
they would only send one copy of my emails out the gateway... grrrr...
</personal_gripe>

> >> You may want a magic property like the java compiler does for
> >> specifying which compiler to use if its not defined with the task.
>
> > Not a big fan of the magic property.  Anything wrong with just
> > using:
> >
> > <cc compiler="${would.have.been.a.magic.property}">
>
> I don't like magic properties either, but this approach would move
> from a single magic property for all projects to a project specific
> one.
>
> Ant2 will solve this with preferences (a way to set the compiler
> attribute of cc unless it has been set explicitly) - for Ant1 I'd
> stick with a hardcoded default for the platform.

So you are saying that you don't want to have a magic property
(completely understandable) but you also don't want to have a compiler
attribute?  How do we pick an alternate compiler then?  We don't yet
have preferences (which would solve the problem nicely) so we need
another way to choose which compiler we want to use.  Adam's solution at
least makes the choice explicit, rather than hidden away in the magic
property.

> > Another thing we could do is probe for the compilers in some
> > particular order, if not explictly specified in the task.
>
> possible - but restrict the list of probes based on the current
> platform.

Agreed.

Glenn McAllister
SOMA Networks, Inc.