ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg K Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] new propertyprecedence attribute for <ant> task
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:40:02 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>Glenn McAllister <glenn@somanetworks.com> wrote:
>
>>This is a not unreasonable feature to ask for.
>>

>No, it is not.
>
>But I'm with Conor and Jose Alberto here - if we should happen to
>agree upon property passing from parent builds to sub builds for Ant2
>(we could try) and it is possible to keep the current behavior for
>Ant1 as a default, we should better do the same for Ant2 and Ant1.
>
>Say we have
>
><ant ...>
>  <property ...>
></ant>
>
>like Conor suggests (or keep the param syntax like Jose Alberto
>suggests) then we can add a flag that says "pass all properties" and
>make that default to true in Ant1 (and to false in Ant2).
>
>Stefan

I like this-- selective property passing is a great idea!    However, to
support the behavior I
described you would still/also need some kind of override directive.  In
this way I can pass
(certain) properties to the child and have the child _maybe_ override.
The particular example
I have in mind has a parent buildfile that calls 12 different
buildfiles, a few of which need to override
some of the defaults.  Would you object to having all of the above
functionality?
You end up with something like the following:

<ant   passallproperties="true" propertyoverride="child">
   <param...>
     <param...>
</ant>

--Craeg