ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lions, Import, and ProjectRef, oh my !
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:42:17 GMT
At 12:28 AM 6/13/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>> What you describe as projectref is not a project reference. It is
>> generation of a project instance from a project template based on
>specified
>> parameters and subsequent modification of current project model to link
>it
>> to generated template instance. I use projectref to mean a reference to
>> another project.
>
>Whatever you choose to call it, I believe it will be necessary for the
>referring project to be able to control the referenced project in some way.
>Have a look at the original thread where I introduced <projectref>. One of
>the suggestions then was that <param> elements in the projectref element
>gave the referring project its mechanism to control the referenced project
>without resorting to mutable or scoped properties. How do you propose to
>achieve that control?

I don't see projectref as doing any control. It is simply a reference to
allow cross project file DAGs. Control if required can be provided by other
mechanisms. Templating will also be provided by other mechanisms.

>> >You should always be able to define <properties> before anything else.
>>
>> Why? properties will never be expanded in projectrefs or imports.
>>

>That is not clear to me.
>
>Also, I do not yet see the need to impose an order on the elements in the
>build file.

What advantage do you see in not formalizing order?

>BTW, can we have meaningful subject lines? What is the meaning of the Lions
>reference?

It is meaningful - it is a comment on the state of ant-dev via reference to
a classical film ;)
Cheers,

Pete