ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] new propertyprecedence attribute for <ant> task
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:34:28 GMT
At 09:04 AM 6/12/01 -0400, Glenn McAllister wrote:
>Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>
>> I think that rather than adding another attribute here and another
there, we
>> need to rethink the way properties are passed and then fix the problem at
>> the root. I think that is part of the agenda for ANT2.
>
>Fair enough, but Ant2 is way down the road - we won't be seeing this for a
>couple of months at least

at absolute bare minimum ;)

>and we will probably see at least one more Ant 1.x
>release before then.  In point of fact, we may see a number of 1.x
releases as
>people who need the JDK 1.1.x capability keep maintaining it.

agreed.

>This is a not unreasonable feature to ask for.  The default behaviour is the
>status quo - properties from the parent override those of the child.  Only
>those who require the child properties to override the parent will do so with
>the attribute flag.  I think this is a case of providing an advanced feature
>for those who really need it, but doing our best to make it difficult to
shoot
>yourself in the foot with it.  If you want to use it, you have to explicitly
>ask for it.
>
>The original reason for having the properties of the parent take precedence
>over the child's stems from the same train of thought that says properties
from
>the command line override those set in the build file.  The rational is
pretty
>much exactly what Creag described.  While this is appropriate in the vast
>majority of cases, there have been times when I *really* wanted to be able to
>inherit properties from the parent.
>
>So in my reduced role as an effectively inactive commiter I'm supporting this
>with a +1.  Any vetoes?

I would +0.5 it ... though it may be better to discuss ant2s model now and
see if we can at least align them. This is a feature that is not really
possible to "fake" but is needed in some areas. However I would hate to
create an Ant2 incompatible mechanism ;)

Cheers,

Pete