ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] new propertyprecedence attribute for <ant> task
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:46:42 GMT
At 01:18 AM 6/12/01 -0400, Craeg K Strong wrote:
>I believe so.  I am proposing adding a new attribute to the ant task
>where you would specify that
>all properties in the subproject should override those of the parent.
> One possible name is
>"propertyprecedence," although I am looking for a better one!  It could
>take the values of
>"parent" and "child," and default to "parent" for example.

In the past this was proposed, I think the terms propertyoveride and
inherit were used for propertyprecedence. Not sure which is more appropriate.

>I hope I stated the problem clearly enough.  Do others agree with the
>need for this capability?

Yep. I can't remember why it wasn't added ages ago. I believe that
originally ant/antcall didn't propogate the properties and it was changed.
Again - can't remember the reason ;) It would be nice and I see no problem
adding it ... but then again I can't remember what it's negatives were ;)

>If so, what are some alternative designs?

Currently a number of properjects work around this by placing property
definitions in an "init" target or "setup-properties" and then all targets
that need properties directly or indirectly depend on this init target.
There is then another target that does the <ant .../> <antcall ... /> which
does not depend on init (and thus has nor properties defined).

Cheers,

Pete