ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Generic vs non-generic?
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:12:27 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering on which was thought to be more useful.

<typedef name="javac" type="task" classname="org.apache.ant.Javac">

vs

<taskdef name="javac" classname="org.apache.ant.Javac">

The first part is more powerful and seems to be the trend that all features
of ant move towards (ie see Copy* --> Copy). The second is nicer for less
technical sophisticated audience but could lead to a whole bunch of tasks
(aspectdef/listenerdef/datadef/taskdef/mapperdef/etc).

They same issue comes up import style statements

<import library="jdk.tsk" name="javac" type="task"/>

vs

<import-task library="jdk.tsk" name="javac"/>

Cheers,

Pete