ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need Ammo in Make vs. Ant argument...
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:03:40 GMT
At 12:22 PM 6/8/01 -0500, Lance Hankins wrote:
>Now I'm getting pushback from the management and CM organizations because
they don't
>want to use Ant (my perception on this is that they don't really know what
Ant is,
>aside from a "replacement for Make").    They've made statements like they
don't
>want to use Ant because its "free and not supported".    They are
decreeing that
>everyone shall use Make.

Which make? Almost all the decent makes are "free and not supported" aswell
I believe ;)

>My questions :
> * Do any of you have any advice on how to wage this argument (aside from
"Ant is cross platform, make is not")...?

* speed of development. Most makefile 'experts' can not get anywhere neer
the speed of ant for java projects. It is not uncommon for make process to
take 10 times long or more.
* existing support. There is already a lot of existing suppport for J2EE
type tasks. This is only going to increase as time goes by. There is
probably no equivelent to some of this functionality in make.
* simplicity. In most cases it is easier to maintain build files and keep
user setting outside generic build process.

>* Ant has a lot of built in support for Java and J2EE based builds, how
effective is it at building C++ based stuff (particularly with large CORBA
based systems).   We have a very heterogeneous environment here (C++
systems, CORBA/C++ systems, CORBA/Java systems, J2EE based systems, etc).

Ant *could* be made to work with native systems (ie write java tasks to
wrap compilers etc) however it currently is not well suited to this task. I
wouldn't recomend it (unless you were willing to write the tasks). I would
maybe use a mixed approach with make for native generation, compiles and
linking but use ant for the j2ee/java specific stuff.

Cheers,

Pete