ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configure->Template->Build
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 07:19:15 GMT
At 08:43 AM 6/7/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> XSLT is crap!
>
>I wouldn't go that far, but you know XSLT far better than I do.

Well - I should qualify - XSLT gives the user enough power to do almost
anything. With standard extension mechanisms it became a complete
programming environment (ie can now do generation as well as
transformation). Consequently novice users hack it up so badly and
incomprehensibly and I used to have to provide support for such people ...
*shudder* ... hence I no like it anymore ;)

>>>If we have some static templating mechanism I strongly wish that we
>>>brand it as "this is not Ant".
>>
>> right
>
>Look, it only took a guy to step up and ask, what we are actually
>talking about, to make us agree 8-). Thanks, Roger.

True - but I am fairly sure that we already knew that (at least to a
degree). Currently ant specifies a sequence of operations. We add in
repetition (ie foreach) and selection (ie if) then we have just invented an
XML programming language ;) Something that was a declared non-goal of ant.
Sure it thus means that we no longer need projectref/templating or anything
like that but it everyone pays for this regardless if they wanted it ;)

Cheers,

Pete