ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configure->Template->Build
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:58:34 GMT
At 03:58 PM 6/6/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Roger Vaughn <rogervaughn@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> To my way of thinking, the discussion should not center around
>> whether templates (dynamic or static) are "the right thing to do",
>> but rather around how they impact, positively or negatively, the Ant
>> core and therefore the structure and behavior of *all* Ant scripts.
>
>I agree - and I think Peter does as well.  The thread started out with
>Peter asking which combination of tools he should use to create his
>prototype - so we can evaluate the impact - and somewhere down the
>thread I said I wouldn't care too much ...
>
>We all agree that Ant should work with its Object model and that
>parsing XML files should be just one way to create that model.  I view
>Peter's "Configure->Template->Build" system as another approach to
>create this object model.

+100

>What I'm more or less fighting against ATM is that we make any such
>other system an integral part of Ant itself - and I don't think Peter
>disagrees with me here either.

+1 here

>Most of the problems people have with Ant - at least those people
>asking for loops and such - stem from the fact that they are trying to
>make Ant fit the paradigm they've been using in their respective build
>systems before they switched to Ant IMHO.

right. Almost all of these requests come from people who are trying to
write generic targets - and while a good idea. Ant1 really doesn't support
this well.

>My major concern here is: Give them static templates and they don't
>even bother looking up another way of doing what they need with Ant.
>They'll talk about the complexity of XSLT and say Ant would be
>difficult to learn and all that.

XSLT is crap! A prime example of why design by comittee doesn't work ;) At
one stage the Cocoon project was specifying/implementing a simplified
templating language (SiLLy). Not sure if it ever got done but I was hoping
to poke them later in ant dev cycle to see if they could rework so we could
use it ;)

>If we have some static templating mechanism I strongly wish that we
>brand it as "this is not Ant".

right - much like imake/automake/autoconf is not make ;)

Cheers,

Pete