ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Scope of Types
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:00:23 GMT
At 09:49 AM 6/6/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <> wrote:
>> At 09:27 AM 6/6/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>>What's the difference between "knowing about a type" and "sharing
>>>the definition of a type"?
>> "knowing about a type" does not imply "***sharing*** the definition
>> of type" between projects.
>OK, got your point, finally. 8-)

>Not sharing the definition implies that both projects define the types
>separately - how would you ensure consistency?

same way as it is done in java. "import" is location
independent and means import of same type regardless of where it occurs. I
believe we can achieve the same with antlibs. Types outside libs are
difficult to support across projects - I am not sure we should try to. If
the user does not want to create a manifest/descriptor then they pray and
hope ;)