ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configure->Template->Build
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:48:44 GMT
At 09:24 AM 6/6/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Alternatively try to build a large scale project with both
>> methods. Without any practical experience or learning from people
>> who have had practical experience I can't see how you can expect
>> anyone to take your "opinion" seriously.
>
>The problem I have with this approach is, that whenever I ask for real
>world examples of large scale projects I don't get any responses.  Or
>if I get responses and manage to solve the problems without templates
>(the static kind) they get declared bad examples afterwards.

Could you give me a reference - I wasn't aware any examples have been given.

>As my 1000 class tree building about 20 modules that make up about
>5-10 separate products is not a large scale project by the definition
>that it would need additional templating mechanisms, I'm obviously
>lacking the experience.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not? Naturally you can solve it using
dynamic templating. Much like you could write a webserver in perl or write
a GUI in assembly. Use the right tools for the problem. The question, is
dynamic templating the right tool?

Cheers,

Pete