ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configure->Template->Build
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:27:15 GMT
At 11:56 AM 6/5/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>If this really captures all variations, you could simply break it up
>into three targets and just define the rmic target for all 17 projects
>you've been talking about - I don't see any bigger maintenance burden
>as you'd have to keep 17 input files anyway.

Think this through. Every variation would have the template file get two
more targets and every input file would have to interlace dependencies
between it and templat file. Fairly unmaintainable, better not to have
templates at all.

>But I don't suggest that, as I don't think you need the template stuff
>here at all, i.e. you can achieve the effect of the templating
>mechanism with projectref as it has been described and Ant2 features.

err ... preojectref as has been described is dynamic templating (as is
antcall/ant tasks). The only difference is that this is done dynamically at
runtime rather than statically.

>Let's take the <xsl:apply-templates select="/project/java-compile"/>.
>What do we have here? Given its position on the javac task I guess
>this expands to a patternset (maybe more than one, but then we'll have
>set union in Ant2).  Wouldn't <patternset ref="project.java-compile" />
>achieve the same?

ignore it - it was just part of experimentation. Named filesets would be
better.

>Same for rmic (which wouldn't do anything if the fileset was empty) or
>the resources part which again just needs some filesets to copy - and
>doesn't do anything for empty filesets.

Interesting way to write a task.

>Let's say, your example hasn't convinced me, that we need templates,
>yet. 8-)

The way you describe, templates would be a bane not a boon.

Cheers,

Pete