ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISC] Aspect types was [DISC] Aspect implementation
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:48:20 GMT
At 12:45 PM 6/3/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>Should this be considered an Aspect on the Tasks or on
>Project/ProjectHelper?

I would say tasks at this stage .. though I am not sure we are going to be
differentiating yet.

>One feature of Preferences is that one does not need to define them on every
>use. They get applied depending on the concreate user environment (who the
>user is, for example).

right.

>So that looks more like an aspect to be applied at the level of the
>ProjectHelper. They will be specified independently of whatever project I am
>may also define the proference for other aspects (like "run this task on
>debug mode"), without the need to modify the buildfile themselves (which may
>be a shared resource). We still can use whatever syntax for declaring and
>parameterizing aspects that we want.

Never thought of that - allowing preferences to "inject" other aspect
attributes. Could be useful .. I guess we need to test it out first.

>	<aspect name="preferences" .... />
>
>	<preference>
>		<task name="javac">
>			<attribute name="deprecation" value="false"/>
>			<!-- Magic properties -->
>			<attribute name="compiler" value="${build.compiler}"/>
>		</task>
>
>		<task name="*" >
>			<!-- Seting aspect debug mode on ALL tasks -->
>			<attribute name="ant:debug" value="true" />
>		</task>
>	</preferences>

fine by me - or we could use CSS like was suggested before (but that would
involve an extra parser depedency).

>Or something like that. My point here is that it is up to the preference
>aspect to define whatever syntax to express how preferences are defined.

agreed.

Cheers,

Pete