ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Descriptor Format
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:44:01 GMT
At 01:07 PM 6/3/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>Not to be picky, but I suggest we try to keep some similarity with ANT1 name
>usages if at all possible, so that we do not shock users too much:
><taskdef>, <typedef>, etc.

users have never had to deal with descriptors before except via
default.properties so I don't see that as of high enough importance atm.

>I would like to have the same syntax (whatever that is) for antlib.xml and
>for loose declarations in the buildfile itself. There is no reason to
>confuse people more than necessary ;-)

I don't see any need as the <*def ../> have a lot more attributes that are
relvent when defining tasks in build file but are not relvent in descriptor.

>With that in mind, we need to make allowance for declaring <classpath> on
>the <task(def)>  declaration, so I can compile and use a loose task in one
>go. I presume simmilar requirements apply to others.

-1
Leave it to standard mechanisms (or slightly enhanced standard mechanisms)
to do this.

Cheers,

Pete