ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From bugzi...@apache.org
Subject [Bug 911] - <exec> task works locally, but not when called remotely
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:28:03 GMT
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=911

*** shadow/911	Sun May 20 17:22:53 2001
--- shadow/911.tmp.22214	Fri Jun 22 12:28:03 2001
***************
*** 1,19 ****
! Bug#: 911
! Product: Ant
! Version: 1.3
! Platform: PC
! OS/Version: Linux
! Status: NEW   
! Resolution: 
! Severity: Normal
! Priority: High
! Component: Core tasks
! AssignedTo: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org                            
! ReportedBy: breese@grandcentral.com               
! URL: 
! Cc: 
! Summary: <exec> task works locally, but not when called remotely
! 
  I have two build.xml files. One is a master build file which simply calls other
  build files. In one of my sub-build files I am calling:
  
--- 1,19 ----
! +============================================================================+
! | <exec> task works locally, but not when called remotely                    |
! +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
! |        Bug #: 911                         Product: Ant                     |
! |       Status: NEW                         Version: 1.3                     |
! |   Resolution:                            Platform: PC                      |
! |     Severity: Normal                   OS/Version: Linux                   |
! |     Priority: High                      Component: Core tasks              |
! +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
! |  Assigned To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org                                   |
! |  Reported By: breese@grandcentral.com                                      |
! |      CC list: Cc:                                                          |
! +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
! |          URL:                                                              |
! +============================================================================+
! |                              DESCRIPTION                                   |
  I have two build.xml files. One is a master build file which simply calls other
  build files. In one of my sub-build files I am calling:
  
***************
*** 85,87 ****
--- 85,127 ----
  /home/max/BigBird/src/brivo/core/build.xml:195: Exec returned: 255
  
  Total time: 10 seconds     
+ 
+ ------- Additional Comments From mark.patton@level3.com  2001-06-22 12:28 -------
+ My investigations on this same problem were as follows:
+ - <exec> tasks when run under ANT 1.2 do NOT exhibit this failure
+ - <exec> tasks executed by ANT 1.3 on UNIX platforms exhibit this failure under 
+   the following circumstances:
+   + The current working directory of the user (i.e., user.dir system 
+     property) when ANT is started is different from the value used for 
+     the "execution" directory for the <exec> task (i.e., "dir" attribute
+     of <exec> command).
+   + When the "dir" attribute is not supplied in the <exec> tag, the "execution"
+     directory is defaulted to the directory where the buildfile (i.e.,
+     build.xml) containing the <exec> task resides (this would satisfy the
+     first point if the buildfile was in a directory other than the user's
+     current working directory where he started ANT).
+ 
+ These observations led me to the Execute.java source file where I realized that
+ ONLY in the case where the user's current working directory is DIFFERENT from
+ the requested command "execution" directory will ANT use a provided OS-
+ specified script (antRun.bat for Win9X and antRun for UNIX) to accomplish the
+ execution of the command.
+ 
+ When I compared the difference between the antRun UNIX script for ANT 1.2 and 
+ ANT 1.3, I found something very interesting. The ANT 1.3 script for UNIX had 
+ DOS end-of-line characters (^M) embedded in the file. Well..., knowing that
+ UNIX and DOS don't get along in this area, I removed the DOS artifacts and
+ everything started working just fine.
+ 
+ I was unable to locate the antRun script in the Jarkarta CVS Repository that
+ was a part of the ANT 1.2 build. I could only find the version (only one version
+ exists) for the ANT 1.3 build. Strangely enough though, when I downloaded the 
+ source for antRun from CVS, I didn't notice the script source having any 
+ embedded DOS artifacts.  I'm not sure where they got introduced at, but they
+ were there when I downloaded and installed the ANT 1.3 binary bundle.
+ 
+ Maybe someone can confirm that their installation has the same problem with the 
+ antRun script and then a developer could look into how they may have been
+ introduced into the release TAR files.
+ 
+ I hope this is really the solution to the problems described by this Bug.
\ No newline at end of file

Mime
View raw message