ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From bugzi...@apache.org
Subject [Bug 2101] New: - run.bat does not detect Ant directory
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:27:46 GMT
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2101

*** shadow/2101	Sun Jun 10 15:27:46 2001
--- shadow/2101.tmp.24122	Sun Jun 10 15:27:46 2001
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,41 ----
+ +============================================================================+
+ | run.bat does not detect Ant directory                                      |
+ +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+ |        Bug #: 2101                        Product: Ant                     |
+ |       Status: NEW                         Version: 1.3                     |
+ |   Resolution:                            Platform: PC                      |
+ |     Severity: Normal                   OS/Version: Windows 9x              |
+ |     Priority: Other                     Component: Wrapper scripts         |
+ +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+ |  Assigned To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org                                   |
+ |  Reported By: eswierk@cs.stanford.edu                                      |
+ |      CC list: Cc:                                                          |
+ +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+ |          URL:                                                              |
+ +============================================================================+
+ |                              DESCRIPTION                                   |
+ The run.bat script attempts to locate the Ant directory if the ANT_HOME
+ variable is not set.  First it checks "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\ant" and
+ then it checks "%SystemDrive%\ant".
+ 
+ There are two problems with the way it is implemented in run.bat:
+ 
+ 1. Attempting to detect a directory using this syntax fails on Windows 9x:
+ 
+      if not exist "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\ant" ...
+ 
+    To detect a directory, you have to append \nul to the end of the path:
+ 
+      if not exist "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\ant\nul" ...
+ 
+ 2. (a) The SystemDrive variable is not normally set on Windows 9x, and forcing
+    the user to set it defeats the purpose of automatically checking for the Ant
+    directory when ANT_HOME is not set; (b) programs can easily be installed
+    on drives other than the system drive, so there's little reason to use that
+    variable even if it were set.
+ 
+    It would be better to check the C: drive explicitly, since that's where
+    99% of people put their program files, and the other 1% can just set
+    ANT_HOME:
+ 
+      if not exist "C:\Program Files\ant\nul" ...
\ No newline at end of file

Mime
View raw message