ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <davidjen...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Need Ammo in Make vs. Ant argument...
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2001 06:23:52 GMT
Hi,
On 2001.06.09 01:10:07 -0400 Diane Holt wrote:
> --- David Jencks <davidjencks@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On 2001.06.09 00:49:46 -0400 Diane Holt wrote:
> > > How did you deal with header-file changes?
> >
> > Aha, now I'm learning. I didn't. (this was to replace a make file on a
> > project that has experienced few changes, which is probably why I
> didn't
> > realize this problem).  Are there other problems?
>
> Do you link against libraries?  How do you associate them so that if
> they're newer, the executable(s) get rebuilt?  Actually, you can back up
> step -- do you build any libraries? If you do, how do you say libfoo.a
> depends on these object-files, so rebuild the lib if the object-files are
> newer than their counterparts inside the library (eg., libfoo.a(foo.o))?

Aha * 2, haven't solved either of these problems.  Isn't the changing
library problem equally present in java? if you update a jar on the
classpath, it doesn't cause anything to recompile?  I think I must be
relinking on every run.

> (Sorry -- didn't mean to wreck your day :)

Will take more than learning this to wreck my day.

Thanks! any more?
david jencks