ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: Need Ammo in Make vs. Ant argument...
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:40:49 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert J. Clark" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 15:24
Subject: Re: Need Ammo in Make vs. Ant argument...

<> wrote:
> > From: Lance Hankins []
> >
> > > Any ammunition will be greatly appreciated :)
> >
> > I can get you some research (that I think was from Sun) that showed
> > that for a large system, 10% of the code was in the build process.
> I would also be interested in reading this if it is available. Drop
> me a line offlist if you would like.
> > But any metric of a large in house development system should give
> > similar results.
> This is what we are seeing here as well.

I havent done a line by line count, but here we have 50KB of build files and
457KB of java source. So that 10% metric still holds in ant -but note that
the build files cover web service installation and behind firewall
deployment to multiple staging sites. Oh, and did I mention the CD burn for
the beyond firewall deployment?

Actually this raises an interesting task idea: what do we have in terms of
source code metric tasks -like lines of code, #of statements, #of branches,
class and method counts, which could be auto extracted during a build
process. If some analysis was always done as part of the build process, it'd
be an easy way to generate interesting data.

View raw message