ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Encouragement of contributions.
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:31:28 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <asr@ufl.edu>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 22:58
Subject: Encouragement of contributions.

> I've got a lazy suggestion (I.E. a suggestion which, if implemented, will
> permit me to be more lazy).  I'm interested in messing with the Ant code,
in
> the hopes of eventually becoming a useful contributer.  Of course, being a
new
> zealot, I want to manage all my dinking -with- ant.  So I want to update
my
> local copy of the source by something like
>
> ant update_source

this could be a target using the CVS tasks

> and submit my changes with something like
>
> ant submit_cvs
>
> which might extract a patch from the latest reference build, and mail it
> the Right People.

I think producing the patch files is practical and worthy; sending the files
could use the mimemail task posted onto this list a while back.

However, I am dubious about fully automating the submission process as there
is the need to follow the submission guidelines, especially the bits about
meaningful subjects and message bodies.

If we automate the process completely, then everyone who has edited some
code will keep on submitting it till they get a response, and without
meaningful subjects it will be hard to make sense of the submissions.

I would prefer, therfore, some task which did a cvs diff and down the tree
and stuck the diffs into a submissions directory, to a full 'workflowesque'
submission process.