ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PATCH: Attributes of Target can reference properties
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 06:54:48 GMT
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:33, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> and modifies the documentation for target in
> >> docs/manual/using.html.  I'm going to commit it unless I see a -1
> >> by somebody else.
> >
> > I haven't followed this closely but from what I get it is expansion
> > of proeprties in target/project attributes? If so I -1'ed it last
> > time it came up ;)
>
> It is a limited expansion of properties in some target attributes
> (depends and description, nothing else) - this expansion happens at
> parse time.
>
> So it is a little bit different from the proposal you have vetoed back
> then, and I think it addresses your concerns (if not, please restate
> them 8-).

My main concerns was that this would allow dependency tree to be modified.
This I -1'ed because it is "scripting" and not something that ant should be
doing. This is essentially a hack to get around the lack of templating in
ant. I know there is a need for something like this and are willing to allow
it as a stop-gap measure on the condition that it does not imply it will be
present in Ant2 (as I will definetly -1 it then ;-] ).

Cheers,

Pete