ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Lions, Import, and ProjectRef, oh my !
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:13:26 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>
> At 02:11 PM 6/12/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> >> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]

> >> I don't really know, but I also don't know why people need a way to
> >> define the project's basedir on the command line - I only know they
> >> do.
> >
> >How about projects having more than one <projectref> ?
> >
> >  <projectref name="a" location="${module.dir}/a.xml" />
> >  <projectref name="b" location="${module.dir}/b.xml" />
> >  <projectref name="c" location="${module.dir}/c.xml" />
>
> Why do you need ${module.dir}? References to other projects
> are supposed to
> be static, parse time values.

I guess I do not want to say:
"/opt/pub/myBuildProcess/projects/predef/a.xml" over and over. Of course,
the developer next door, using a PC instead, may have to say:
"d:/myBuildProcess/projects/predef/a.xml".

Then there is the case of libraries and/or projectrefs that may be shipped
as part of comercial products. For example ORACLE or Weblogic may ship their
owm ANT set of libraries for deploying EJBs, or for building ProC (ORACLE at
least provide makefile samples today, in the future they could provide
generic <projectref> that you can instantiate on your owm projects. In those
cases, calling those projects will depend on the location of your ORACLE
installation which can change from machine to machine.

A little more imagination and we could go even further...

> >Same can be said for external libraries (not in
> $ANT_HOME/lib) and so on.
>
> all libraries used from import are location independent (ie
> we search well
> know places for appropraite library). If you want to load types from a
> particular location then you use taskdef instead.

So, if I work with 3 or four different open projects plus my own work, I
need to have loaded all the libraries for all of them even when I am not
working on them, nevermind conflicts of different projects requireing
different versions.

Oh yes, lets not forget multiuser systems where ANT is installed by
sys-admin centrally. Do sys-admins need to accept and install every library
that every user may need?

One need to be able to define library locations that are project specific
and oher that are just user specific. You cannot assume every user will have
its own separate ANT_HOME.

Jose Alberto