ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] new propertyprecedence attribute for <ant> task
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:44:56 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>
> At 01:18 AM 6/12/01 -0400, Craeg K Strong wrote:
> >I believe so.  I am proposing adding a new attribute to the ant task
> >where you would specify that
> >all properties in the subproject should override those of
> the parent.
> > One possible name is
> >"propertyprecedence," although I am looking for a better
> one!  It could
> >take the values of
> >"parent" and "child," and default to "parent" for example.
>
> In the past this was proposed, I think the terms propertyoveride and
> inherit were used for propertyprecedence. Not sure which is
> more appropriate.
>
> >I hope I stated the problem clearly enough.  Do others agree
> with the
> >need for this capability?
>
> Yep. I can't remember why it wasn't added ages ago. I believe that
> originally ant/antcall didn't propogate the properties and it
> was changed.
> Again - can't remember the reason ;) It would be nice and I
> see no problem
> adding it ... but then again I can't remember what it's
> negatives were ;)

I think that rather than adding another attribute here and another there, we
need to rethink the way properties are passed and then fix the problem at
the root. I think that is part of the agenda for ANT2.

We need to look at the big picture. Otherwise we will finish with a mush of
individual and sometimes contradictory features.

Jose Alberto