ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <erikhatc...@earthlink.net>
Subject modifying optional task code / <mimemail>
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:17:30 GMT
I am in the process of modifying one of Ant's optional tasks (<junit> and
<junitreport> specifically).   I, incorrectly I'm guessing, compiled the two
classes I modified (JUnitTest.java and XMLJUnitResultFormatter.java) and
modified my classpath to have their directory ahead of optional.jar in hopes
they'd get picked up from there.   Ant actually pulled them from
optional.jar instead.   I haven't dug deep enough into Ant's internals to
really understand how this is happening, but could someone explain to me
(point me to the code if possible) how/why this happens?

Also, is there a way I can keep the standard release build of ant.jar and
optional.jar in the lib directory and still override some of optional.jar's
classes?

I'm writing an article (for IBM's developerWorks) on Ant/JUnit integration
and how to automate running unit tests and having the testing report (thanks
to Stephane's cool <junitreport> tag).   Since my code modifications
probably won't be committed before I submit the article, I want to explain
how to get my enhancements working prior to their integration into an
official Ant build.   The way I've done it is to simply run bootstrap.bat
and replace my previous ant.jar and optional.jar files with the newly built
ones.   It would be nicer if I could do something easier than having folks
build ant.jar and optional.jar themselves if at all possible.

I'm also using the <mimemail> task to e-mail the HTML reports but I'm sure
since its not already an existing optional task that I can get by with
<taskdef>'ing for my article.   Steve Loughran - any objections to me
providing your task with my article?  (I will definitely give the disclaimer
that it will probably be modified but e-mailing attachments will most likely
be available as an Ant task in the near future with the same or similar
syntax - but until then that this piece could be used with <taskdef>).

Thanks for all your help.

    Erik