ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [DISC] Aspect types was [DISC] Aspect implementation
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:41:49 GMT

> So before we define the Aspect interface I think we should try to
generate
> a list of aspects that we think would be valid to implement.

That sounds a reasonable approach although I feel we may be able to
identify the "hinge points" just from our understanding of how Tasks will
be executed. The other thing I mentioned in a separte post is identifying
to which elements or tasks the aspect is to be associated. With a debugging
aspect, for example, we may want to apply to a number of task types without
having to enter aspect style attributes into each task declaration. This
might lead us into what AspectJ calls pointcut designators. If so, we'll
need some syntax for that. Or is that too complex for now.

I don't think there will be many aspects in practice but you neve know.
Anyway, the types of aspects to date I have considered
failonerror control
id definition
debugging/tracing aspects
perhaps logging but I haven't thought about it.

Your example contained a doc: aspect but I had always theought that was
piggy backed to the aspect concept as a way of ignoring some elements. That
is, I didn't really expect the core to process these in anyway. Thoughts?
Do we agree that an aspect can be in the build file without there being an
aspect handler defined for that and if so, those aspect attributes are just
ignored

Any thought about aspects applied to either target or project elements?

Let's see what other aspects people might find useful

Conor