ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Lions, Import, and ProjectRef, oh my !
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:28:10 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 11:09 PM
Subject: RE: Lions, Import, and ProjectRef, oh my !

> At 12:48 PM 6/11/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> >But how can you pass <param> to your <projectref> if you cannot have
> ><property> declared before hand. Same applies for the location
attributes of
> ><projectref> and so on.
>
> What you describe as projectref is not a project reference. It is
> generation of a project instance from a project template based on
specified
> parameters and subsequent modification of current project model to link
it
> to generated template instance. I use projectref to mean a reference to
> another project.

Whatever you choose to call it, I believe it will be necessary for the
referring project to be able to control the referenced project in some way.
Have a look at the original thread where I introduced <projectref>. One of
the suggestions then was that <param> elements in the projectref element
gave the referring project its mechanism to control the referenced project
without resorting to mutable or scoped properties. How do you propose to
achieve that control?

> >You should always be able to define <properties> before anything else.
>
> Why? properties will never be expanded in projectrefs or imports.

That is not clear to me.

Also, I do not yet see the need to impose an order on the elements in the
build file.

BTW, can we have meaningful subject lines? What is the meaning of the Lions
reference?