ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] ProjectBuilder abstraction
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 13:31:49 GMT

> All in all I can not see how we can bind to a particular format or
> builder just yet. Thus I propose that we use a ProjectBuilder
> abstraction.

Looking at the accepted feature

* allow facilities to build projects from multiple sources. ie CSS+xml
  or XSLT+ XML or Velocity+text or database or from inside jars or normal
  build.xmls etc.

we will need an abstraction of the ProjectBuilder as we won't have a
1-1 mapping of ways to build a project to front-ends. A builder for
Projects retrieved from an OODBMS, one for vanilla XML or one for
serialized Objects retrieved through a socket connection could be used
in each and every front-end.

I'm not sure whether we'd want to go so far that we'd allow to invoke
an <ant> task that receives its Project instance via a different
mechanism than the parent build did - but then, why not.

+1 on abstracting this out. The execution engine doesn't have to care
how the Project has been built and the front-end shouldn't need to know
much more than how to choose the correct builder and how to pass it
the parameters needed.

Stefan