ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] mimemail task
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 07:58:28 GMT
Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

>> This means, it uses JavaMail instead of org.apache.tools.mail, yes?
>
> yes indeed. So while it does more, its requirements are higher.

Hmm, random thought alarm: Make <mail> a facade that uses JavaMail if
present and falls back to a non MIME version based on Jason's simple
mail package that ships with Ant.

>> Any reason you need the complete J2EE stuff instead of JavaMail and
>> Java Activation Framework separately?
>
> nope. I didnt know they came in separate jars. If someone sends me
> the pointers I'll make the build of the file dependent on them and
> do a doc page to go with it.

JavaMail: <http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/index.html>

Java Activation Framework:
<http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html>

> Also we need to consider whether the file selection process (comma
> separated list) is adequate.

I'd always prefer something using nested elements over (arbitrarily)
seperated lists in attributes.

> I'd rather a proper fileset list, maybe with manual mime type
> override.

This could be a fileset with some additional features, like
<zipfileset> or <tarfileset>.

Stefan