ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [DISC] details of task library concept
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 07:55:59 GMT
Daniel Barclay <> wrote:

> Can java.lang.ClassLoader.getResources(...) access things in the
> META-INF directory?  (How special is that directory?)

Yes, they can.  META-INF is nothing special, really, just the place
where one is supposed to put "meta information" for your archive.

I have no idea why they've chosen to use WEB-INF for the meta
information of WAR archives either, of course we could follow the same
route and use ANT-INF. I'm more or less sitting on the fence here.

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> * Will each task library be assigned to an XML-Namespace to avoid
>> task-name clashes?
>> IMHO, yes.  Maybe we should use the name of the jar file (without
>> extension) as the namespace prefix.
> No, don't use the Jar file name.

I've been convinced 8-) - I'm even convinced that the task should live
in the default namespace "" except for special cases.

>> * The extension of the library file itself.
> What were the feeling regarding staying with ".jar" vs. using
> another extension?  (I missed that discussion.)

You'd have to search about a year back in the archives, I think.  When
task libraries have been discussed for the first time, somebody (has
it been JDD? not sure) suggested they'd be named .tsk so one could
quickly see which jars contain tasks and which contain other classes.

No big issue IMHO.

View raw message