ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: How to update a jar?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 11:35:43 GMT
Jon Skeet <> wrote:

>> > Okay, that presumably makes it a right royal pain to attempt to
>> > write a patch to allow this
> The "pain" is patching two sets of source code :)

Then don't do that ;-), we just need a patch against the current CVS
version to include it in Ant 1.4.

>> > There is one slight wrinkle, however: with the jar version I
>> > believe you'd want to exclude the original manifest from the list
>> > of files being added.
>> Could be specified by using patterns - maybe jar would optionally
>> exclude META-INF/MANIFEST.MF while war excludes WEB_INF/web.xml and
>> so on.
> Right. My initial thought was to have a protected
> getUpdateZipFileSet method and override it in subclasses

But please make this optional.  I know we could always tell people
they should use <zip> if they want to include the original manifest
file, but a lot of users are not even aware that a .jar file is a zip

View raw message